Friday, December 19, 2014

A bittersweet farewell to Scotland:

It is amazing how quickly time actually passes by. Just yesterday it seems I was so anxious to get out of the house and start my journey abroad, yet now I find myself having to say goodbye to Glasgow and the wonderful people I have come to learn along the way. Angus and Craig, friends of the frenchies had a christmas party with some mulled wine. It was warm wine with some nutmeg and other stuff mixed together. I caught a glimpse of the Uni at night while walking to their place: 


While at the party most of my time was spent surrounded by JoJo and Saufuan. Apparently JoJo wants him and I to be her sons: 


Come Sunday was my last service at ReHope with the regular group. I can't begin to put in words how lovely the church was and how much I had already learn from only being there a couple of weeks. Afterwards almost all of us went for breakfast at a place we have walked passed so many times craving the food because it smelled so good. Delizique:


I even managed to sneak in a last sunrise at Murano before heading back home:


And finally right before I was departing I was able to grab a few pieces of straggling hairs, and put it all into a mini top knot. Great success. Don't worry the hair will continue to grow until I have reached an adequate length for the top knot: 


After I finished submitting my last essay for this semester what better way to celebrate than to go have a 3 hour tennis session with the team players: 


Followed by a four hour climbing excursion with Mikael and Jasmyn at TCA: 


It had all finally hit me that I was leaving some people behind and not returning to them for quite some time. A dinner at the french house had to be in order. These three had really grown so much on me and I will cherish the great memories we have made together. I really am going to miss these three, and the constant banter I kept getting from them:


I made a little bucket list of what I needed to do before leaving Glasgow, one of which was to eat some sticky toffee pudding and after Syd and Harper had a mishap with communication, Jacob joined me for some pretty posh pudding at Di Maggio. It was a first for Jacob and man was it goooooood: 


My last night was spent doing a subway crawl with a couple of goobers. If it wasn't the silly hanging from the railing in the subway, to the singing and being obnoxious people, it was the dynamic of the entire group and lack of sleep from studying for finals that made this night such a success. Okay also because everyone of these guys make it hard not to have a great time with: 


And just like that it was all over..I had reached the end of this particular journey: 


I really had quite the expectations going to Scotland but what I had figured out, was that no matter what I had expected, nothing could have prepared me for the circumstances and moments I was able to have while living there. I surely am going to miss the people, the food and the occasional sunshine that Glsagow had to offer. I am so thankful for having this opportunity presented in my life and creating the connections with so many different people. 
When I thought I had about a week left before coming back to the States, it turned out to be a couple of days left instead. My flight got switched earlier and now I am back in Chicago. 
If I could give any advice about Glasgow it would be this: 

There is no such thing as too many SCOOBY SNACKS

It's been real Glasgow.












No comments:

Post a Comment